Yee haw. Texas is where you'll find our next eating challenge! And the name of this fine establishment? "The Big Texan", home to the "The 72oz Steak".
Now for those of us who aren't too familiar with ounces, that's equivalent to around about 2kg. Puts the 'Park Road Challenge" into perspective, but of course they always do everything bigger in Texas! That said, it sure ain't cheap. US$72. Ouch. But, as most of these challenges, money is no object. When faced with a challenge, one must savour the experience!
This place has some great history. Here's some facts
- Nearly 6,200 people have succeeded in eating the 72oz. steak (since 1960).
- Almost 37,000 people have attempted to consume the free 72oz. steak (since 1960).
- Frank Pastore, a professional pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds, ate the complete steak dinner in a record that still stands today of just 9½ minutes back in May of 1987. This was Frank's 7th and fastest time to complete the steak contest in 11 years of running to spring training in Florida.
- The oldest person to eat the steak was a 69-year-old grandmother; the youngest, an 11-year old boy.
- Klondike Bill, a professional wrestler, consumed two complete dinners in the one hour time limit back in the 1960s
"The Big Texan", I tip my hat to your historical challenge, and will endeavour to see you soon!